· Use your own wording – identically-worded letters carry less weight.
· Keep it brief – many people will not read or take in anything more than 2 sides of A4. If you need to comment at greater length, put a summary at the beginning.
· Stick to planning arguments relevant to the application – anything else will be ignored.
· If you are objecting, make this clear – “comments” or “reservations” are likely to be ignored.
· Try to provide evidence to back up any statements you make. Photographs can be useful. If possible, try to show how the application is incompatible with the requirements of the Local Plan or Government Planning Policy Guidance.
· Clearly cite the planning application reference and send the letter by the advertised deadline to the case officer at
Planning Services, West Oxfordshire District Council, Elmfield, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1PB
Comments can be submitted by e-mail, but it is advisable to use the “request a read receipt” option so that you know the e-mail has been read.
· WODC have a handy guide to commenting on planning applications.
· E-mail the Secretary if you need any further advice.